ソリューション ファインダー 技術サポート

Car Alternator Problem

Posted by: Aubreyhu on

Hi, I have a question

Concerns about power I have a 1976 Volkswagen Beetle that is fuel injected. My problem is that it will only start if you jump start it; it has a fresh battery. I'm not sure if the negative battery connection leading to the body is faulty or if the alternator is faulty.

Thank you very much.

Image removed.

コメント

Submitted by PI-Logan on 05/17/2022

Hi Aubreyhu,

Unfortunately, we are not experts here on car/automotive problems. We can more effectively answer questions/queries concerning Power Integration products.

Still, I will try to give an answer to your question. Based on the link that you've provided, Sections 2.1 to 2.3 characterizes a bad battery, starter, and alternator. If indeed your alternator is faulty, then you should be experiencing the symptoms stated in Section 2.3. This may also result in a damaged battery. If not, then it may be that your starter is faulty.

Submitted by redicisfollows on 12/25/2023

The alternator is responsible for charging the battery while the engine is running. If the alternator is faulty, it may not be charging the battery properly. You can check the alternator by using a multimeter to measure the voltage across the battery terminals with the engine running. It should read around 13.5 to 14.5 volts. Even if the battery is fresh, it could be defective or not holding a charge. You may want to have the battery tested to ensure it's functioning correctly. If the starter motor is not engaging properly, it can also cause starting issues. You can try tapping the starter motor gently with a hammer while someone turns the key to see if that helps.