Solution Finder Get Tech Support

Audible Noise from TNY268PN based AC/DC converter circuit (battery charger)

Posted by: ahmet54 on

Hi Power Integrations Support Team,

I have designed battery charger circuit based on TNY268PN to charge 12V 2.2Ah Sealed Lead Acid Battery. I attached the circuit schematic to this thread. The schematic is based on the circuit given in TNY268PN datasheet (Datasheet Figure 14 2.5W CV CC Battery charger schematic). Charger setpoint is set to around 13.6V and current limit is set to around 600mA. The circuit charges battery as expected, but there is audible noise problem in the circuit as described below.

1. When battery is not connected to the circuit, there is an audible noise.

2.When battery is connected to the circuit, and battery initial voltage is below charger setpoint voltage (in my case it is around 13.6V), there is an audible noise until battery reaches to the setpoint. When battery reaches charger setpoint (i.e), cicuit does not produce any audible noise. 

Could you please offer me some solution to solve audible noise problem and also, I would like to know how to calculate R and C values for snubber circuit. 

This is first time I am designing AC/DC converter. I am sorry if these are basic questions.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Regards,

Ahmet

Files

Attachment Size
Charger schematic 188.4 KB

Comments

Submitted by PI-Wrench on 09/21/2023

Has the transformer been varnished? It is relatively common for an unvarnished transformer to make audible noise since the core faces on the outer legs will rub together in response to the varying AC flux.

Submitted by ahmet54 on 09/25/2023

I have changed clamp circuit RCD with "Diode - Diode" (TVS + fast diode combination) circuit and also increased the value of filter cap C5 to 330uF. The auidible noise decreased significantly. It is negligible now. 

Submitted by PI-Wrench on 09/27/2023

I'm not sure that  changing the primary snubber would have made much of a difference for the audible noise, but increasing the bulk cap value would definitely change the peak to peak B+ ripple voltage and perhaps move the average operating frequency away from the resonant frequency of the transformer core. As I previously pointed out, varnishing the finished transformer also helps to quiet audible noise.

Submitted by ahmet54 on 10/05/2023

Thank you for your comment. I will also apply varnish to the transformer.

Does the audible noise point to improper design and can ruin functionality of the circuit or it is general issue when designing AC/DC converter?

Regards,

Ahmet

Submitted by PI-Wrench on 10/05/2023

The audible noise can be a consequence of the on-off control scheme used by the TinySwitch family for regulation. Audible noise can be experienced if the TinySwitch operates in pulse-bunching mode. Please post the circuit that you are using to regulate the battery charger - it may provide some insight to your problem. As I have mentioned several times before, varnish impregnating the transformer can go a long way toward quieting a noisy transformer, as it locks the core halves together and prevents them from vibrating against each other. It also helps prevent vibration in the transformer windings.

Submitted by ahmet54 on 10/06/2023

Thank you for your further explanation. I have attached the circuit to this comment.  In the circuit, I am using R15&R16 to limit current to about 600mA and using TL431 + Optocoupler diode Vf to set battery charging voltage to about 13.6V. 

Image removed.

Attachment Size
Battery Charger Circuit 188.4 KB
Submitted by PI-Wrench on 10/12/2023

Your current limit circuit may not be slow enough. If the current limit circuit tries to interact with the output ripple when it is active, it can cause pulse bunching and audible noise. You may find it beneficial to shift the position of the electrolytic compensation capacitor as shown in the attached markup and make the value of R14 somewhat larger. You may need to try several values of compensation capacitor, as 10uF might be a little too big for the job - maybe try starting with 1-4.7uF.

Attachment Size
Curr_limit_ckt.pdf 94.53 KB
Submitted by ahmet54 on 11/09/2023

Hi,

I am sorry for my late reply. I redesigned the PCB and produced it, so it took time.

I modified my circuit according to your comments. I decreased electrolyte compensation cap. value to 2.2uF, increased base resistor value to 100 ohm. I also increase output filter capacitor value from 220uF to 470 uF . To decrease TNY268PN DC bus ripple, I also increased the capacitor value in the output of the full bridge rectifier circuit from 2.2uF to 22uF. Lastly, I changed clamp circuit from RCD to TVS + Fast diode pair. Right now, I cannot hear any audible noise under no load and also load conditions.

Thank you very much for your help.