解决方案搜寻 技术支持

Multi Transformer Support

Posted by: caroltech on

When the design calls for multiple transformers of different specs, what is the best approach to accommodate such a design using PI Expert? Suppose 5 or more transformers are used in a single PSU to provide the different outputs, could a single transformer with 5 secondaries replace them? What is the advantage other than the space and BOM saving?

评论

Submitted by PI-Pompeii on 07/19/2023

Hi caroltech, 

PI Expert currently does not support the design of power supplies with multiple transformers. However, if you're familiar with the PI Expert design tool, you'll see that the design wizard allows you to enter 5 (even more) output specifications. This means that, yes, the tool can create a design of a single transformer with five secondaries. If your desired power supply specifications are possible, then the tool will be able to come up with a solution. This is dependent on factors such as the total power you need, your target application, and the product you use. 

To start, you can explore the InnoSwitch series of products, InnoSwitch | Power Integrations, Inc., to determine which one fits your power requirements. Then head to PI Expert Online (power.com), pick the product you like, and make sure you pick one with the PI Expert option enabled. PI Expert is the design tool which will automatically calculate, optimize, and create a design for you using your design specifications. 

As for the advantages, you will potentially have a higher efficiency compared to multiple transformers. The degree of improvement in efficiency depends on other factors such as the power requirements, the connection type of your outputs (can be independent windings or AC stack), and the construction of the transformer itself. However, you won't be able to independently regulate the outputs, and this might lead to poorer regulation so that is a tradeoff you might have to think about. 

Thank you. 

Submitted by caroltech on 07/19/2023

Hi,

Thank you very much for the prompt, detailed, and very helpful reply. Yes, I'm familiar with PI Expert and I've been using it for couple of months now. I didn't try it with designs with more than two outputs, but I will do it soon.

Anyways, from where you left off, regulation is crucial for any good PS design. It's not a trivial thing to neglect.

I was wondering if you have plans to add support for designs with multiple transformers in the future version of PI Expert.

Thank you again for your help!